The inn and restaurant are open seasonally, May through October.
The Beach Plum Inn & Restaurant
50 Beach Plum Lane
Menemsha, MA 02552
The town of Chilmark was established in 1694, bound by stonewalls to the east and west, the Atlantic Ocean to the south and Menemsha to the north. Family farms and the last commercial fishing fleet on the Island continue to be the backbone of this community. The historic fishing village of Menemsha is located in the heart of Chilmark and the Inn looks squarely over the working waterfront.
Chilmark is a dry town; alcohol is not for sale in retail outlets and restaurants are BYOB. Visitors may bring their own alcohol to the island or purchase it in Oak Bluffs or Edgartown. We can also arrange delivery to the Inn.
- West Tisbury Farmers Market hosts more than 40 farmers and purveyors from across the Island on Wednesday and Saturday from 9 a.m to noon. Open mid-June to October.
- Hiking trails and beautiful vistas are accessible through Martha’s Vineyard Land Bank, The Trustees of Reservations and Sheriff’s Meadow properties. We have trail maps available at the Inn.
- Menemsha fishing village: Larsen’s Fish Market, a commercial fishing fleet and beautiful sunset-watching.
- Visit working farms for fresh produce, dairy and other provisions: Mermaid Farm and Dairy, Allen Farm, Grey Barn
- The historic Gay Head Lighthouse
- The Yard, an artists colony featuring dance and yoga classes, performances, theatre and workshops.
- Beetlebung Corner: Chilmark town library, post office and general store.
- The Chilmark Community Center offers a variety of programs throughout the year for all ages.
A bit of history
In 1950, Theresa Morse and her husband Warren left their settled New York City life and started anew as innkeepers on Martha’s Vineyard. The couple opened the Beach Plum; originally constructed from a salvaged 1898 shipwreck nearby harbor. Morse was quite the entertainer and authored three cookbooks.
To maintain the history of the Inn and preserve its land, Bob Nixon purchased the seven-acre property in 2007, where the long tradition of supporting the Island’s purveyors and craftsmen continues with the team led by Josh Aronie.